Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Culture Contrast !!

Couple of days back, I caught a glimpse of Aishwarya on the 'Oprah Winfrey Show' while I was youtubing aimlessly on the internet... fresh from her Cannes days (Devdas had just premiered at Cannes and had won immense international acclaim), she looked just as she always does, Gorgeous !! well, thats how Oprah introduced her anyway.. the most beautiful woman on earth n blah, blah, blah.... we are so used to it by now :)

What really caught my attention though was when she spoke on the topic of living with one's parents ... "while in India, its not something to even think about or consider, in the West however your parents would kick you out of the house after a certain age if you don't go by yourself... in India it signifies the family bonding and intimacy while in the West it epitomizes the inherent sense of independence ingrained in the people".... the cultural divide was so vividly apparent... I couldn't help but think of the charm both ways of being hold; in their own manner they are important to the people who follow them, people who are subtly but undoubtedly impacted by these ways of life... none is bad, I must say.. no culture should ever be termed as bad, especially just because we might not be a part of it.... In the end, we should be looking for a favorable fusion of entities, the best of all the worlds and create something worthwhile... right !!

No comments:

Post a Comment