Friday, September 18, 2009

Phantom Limbs...

I am currently reading a novel by Stephen King, DUMA KEY; it got interesting just now after I've read like half of it... Thank God for that, my patience bubble was about to burst... But this is not what I will be writing about....
The book introduced me to a strange new concept of "Phantom Limbs", the take was supernatural but when I scrouged Wiki and the likes, I found it very much exists. Just something interesting I found to share with you, so here it goes....

"A phantom limb is the sensation that an amputated or missing limb (even an organ, like the appendix) is still attached to the body and is moving appropriately with other body parts. The missing limb often feels shorter and may feel as if it is in a distorted and painful position. Although not all phantom limbs are painful, patients will sometimes feel as if they are gesturing, feel itches, twitch, or even try to pick things up. "

Now, until recently, the dominant theory for cause of phantom limbs was irritation in the severed nerve endings (called "neuromas"). When a limb is amputated, many severed nerve endings are terminated at the remaining stump. These nerve endings can become inflamed, and were thought to send anomalous signals to the brain. These signals, being functionally nonsense, were thought to be interpreted by the brain as pain. Drugs, anti-depressants, Spinal Cord Stimulation (effective) are said to be some of the ways that are known to curb it, though people have gone to the extremes of getting a second amputation done.

Should I call it weird or supernatural or something which is just unexplored by science yet... I don't know, but it certainly is something to think about... what say !!!

1 comment:

  1. Googletalkies is an entertainment portal, where you can view lastest videos, movie updates, wallpaper, and read jokes, sms, shayari etc.

    www.googletlakies.com

    ReplyDelete