Monday, August 31, 2009

Everybody Thinks....

I thought I'd write something about how incredible Mathematics is as a subject... how differentiation and integration used to fascinate me back in my school days... how I used to love the fact that I could do all those sums right... how I actually understood the concepts; it wasn't just rote learning... how the next set of steps in the equation solving flashed through my mind even while I was jotting down the question :)

But then my thought wandered off to somebody with an entirely different perspective on the same subject... someone who asks me how is she supposed to know when to do a "-1" on both sides of an equation, someone for whom the Binomial theorem holds no more meaning than a bunch of C's strewn together with some random numbers, someone who hasn't quite caught hold of how to take an LCM to this day... And then I remembered with a smile on my face the brilliant solution she had to a simple problem..

Area of the Triangle: 1/2 (AB)(BC) = 1/2 A(2B)C = ABC ;)

It was not until recently that I came to acknowledge the fact that her mind would have been so clear when she thought of this.. so devoid of any other mathematical mesh (the formulas and the equations which cloud my mind all the time) that she was able to think of this.... Honestly, I could have never pulled this one off... So, I came to the conclusion that she did apply her mind after all... so what if it implied something absurd.... Maybe some day she'll come up with a masterpiece.... I'm keeping my fingers crossed.. :)

2 comments:

  1. dekha....tu bhi ban gayi na uski fan.....mujhe to hamesha se hi pata tha ke woh awesome hain :)

    ReplyDelete